Wednesday, May 18, 2011

In a world of 70 millions blogs, and one that still likes that old trailer chestnut, I finally stake my place in the blogosphere.

While I’m may not yet be in the league of greats like TV/comics writer Mark Evanier (http://www.newsfromme.com) or parenting columnist Lenore Skenazy (http://www.freerangekids.com/), online silence is not golden. For a guy who was told that writing is my greatest strength, I’ve been slouching down this technological path when I should be running. As it is, it’s long past time to pick up my pace.

I haven’t done it sooner because I didn’t feel I had anything to say meaningful and regularly. Yet, I’ve had this growing urge to speak out more. I’ve put my oar in the public waterway with sporadic newspaper letters to the editor, but I’m through waiting each month to write to the London Free Press about about the right issue and hope I get printed.

I intend to cover mainly Canadian politics and media issues as well as popular arts like film, comics and animation, hopefully like Jian Ghomeshi’s opening monologues on CBC Radio’s Q, at least until a more specific topic inspires me. In an effort not to be like 80% of Americans, I try to seriously follow the news each weekday with multiple sources like the CBC, Toronto Star, Rabble.ca, London Free Press, Ain’t It Cool News, New York Times Magazine, The Walrus and This Magazine. I just hope I can comment about the world with some humanity as opposed to brainlessly regurgitating news. If that makes me “biased,” then who am I to argue with Stephen Colbert’s observation, “Reality has a liberal bias”?

If you’re game, then I invite you on this personal journey as I hope to do my bit adding to the Net’s contextual cacophony and hopefully I’ll strike a good note.

2 comments:

mememine69 said...

Looks good from here K.
Paul

Kennethc said...

Thank you. One of the things that held me back is that I would just a drop in a sea of millions of blogs. So, thank you for noticing and commenting.