Thursday, June 02, 2011

My Post-viewing Film Fun

Sorry if this all my blog seems to center around film, but while I try to get some discipline into writing this blog, I have to write what I know and love.

Unlike other people, I cannot turn my mind off after seeing a film and I want more to my experience after I leave the theater.  So as soon as I can get back online, I have a few regular movie relate sites I always go.
  •  Wikipedia: I always go here to see what the film's page has about the work and how they describe the plot as well any information about the details about it.  If I see there isn't enough, then that's a opportunity I treasure to fill in details with the surpreme prize of writing up the plot summary and then step back to see how it will be edited.
  • The Internet Movie Database: This site is often has more opportunities with fun info holes to fill like the plot outline, plot summary and the plot keywords.  The only drawback with this is that edits have to approved by the site management so there is a delay in changes being posted, except for the more wiki oriented content advisory and FAQ sections.  Here, since this site is the definitive online info source for film and TV, adding stuff here feels more substantial and worthwhile. Its message boards are fun as well where I can enjoy reasonably intelligent discussion about the wor
  • TV Tropes: This page is amazingly addictive as a fascinating area where the elements of fiction are catalogued for any work .  Furthermore, since there is no pretense made about objectivity to a certain degree or notability, your personal opinions can play a role in your entries.
  • Review pages: While I consult Rotten Tomatoes for general opinions, I like to read reviews in detail afterward such as the great Roger Ebert, whom while I don't always agree, he is always fascinating to read. There is also Screen-It, a parental oriented review where content elements of a film are listed in intriguing detail without being judgemental.  Finally there is Common Sense Media which has its own take on media including film, but also adds the opinions of parents and kids about them as well.
  • Fan Fiction.net: For particular genre films, there is even more imagination possible when the really good stuff inspires fandom to explore the narrative possibilities on their own and create their own magic.
 Furthermore, this can be only the start of the exploration.  For instance, for Kung Fu Panda 2, there is the book, The Art of Kung Fu Panda 2 where I can really explore its creation.

This might be obsessive, but I want more for my movies and I get it through these sources away that mindless watching would never make possible.

No comments: