Tuesday, July 05, 2011

When I read my news sites each morning, primarily The Toronto Star, the local news on the London Free Press and a quick scan of Salon.com among others, I try to save time by skipping celebrity fluff and apolitical crime stories beyond occasionally glancing at the headline links.

Unfortunately concerning the former, that has proven easier to do of late. While I am sure that Prince William and Lady Kate of Cambridge are very nice people and so far have been less embarrassing than Prince Harry for instance, I just don't want all this attention at the expense of more important news. For instance, the Canadian ship's attempt to run the blockade of Gaza is easily more important the LFP's CanadaWorld section's front page than seeing those two on a Dragon Boat or Will piloting a Sea King Helicopter, although the latter is practically an act of heroism considering the state of those military choppers today.

It was really galling that I was looking forward to listening to Cross Country Checkup last Sunday and hearing that the royal couple will be the subject of discussion, even if the host was being apologetic about it as a backdoor tactic to start a debate about the monarchy in Canada. As it is, I agree with Jiam Ghomeshi opening monologue's on Q calling for the big media to pull on the lapdog treatment of the royals. At least the fact that they are British royalty at least gives them some shade of relevance to Canada than any Hollywood celebrity any day. Just all that idiotic obsession with Paris Hilton's arrest years ago was as repellent an example as anything I'm referring to; I just hope that female TV anchor who literally burning the sheet about it on air got a promotion for it. I just hope that CCC can deal with something more substantive as it should. I know this is hardly some radical opinion, but I can't stay quiet either, even if I should do the same for any number of more important subjects.

At least, most of the rest of CBC Radio's programming at least has more integrity than that such as The Current which were discussing the Gaza blockade and a reporter's interview with a Khmer Rouge big shot while the summer programming is as fascinating as always like today's Out of Their Minds about eccentric scientists and inventors and Strange Animal, a fun show exploring elements of human nature. That is something I need and I hope I can do the same someday.

No comments: