Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Well, the moment that I have been dreading has come at last; London Hydro is moving to Time of Use pricing for their electricity as of tomorrow at least to some degree. For the people who have typical day jobs, they can avoid much of the high periods in the summer, provided that the smart meters are working properly.  What really annoys me is those who whine about working with that new reality like that jerk who bellyaches in a letter to the editor in the LFP about not being to eat his oatmeal in the morning. Can't these people think of the bigger picture even if the provincial government could more diplomatic about these measures, expecially concerning the wind turbines initiative?

While in principle, this new pricing structure has some logic, I'm going to be a frustrating position myself.  Namely, I share the house with a commercial tenant in the front who obviously operates largely in the peak times for electricity and all my attempts to work within the strictures of the pricing will be countered by their demands. Working from home now, I know I am not going to be blameless in this situation, but would it kill them to at least turn on their ceiling fan?

On a lighter note, the Brickenden Awards show was an enjoyable affair celebrating the best of London local theater. As much as I appreciate friends like Jayson McDonald get the recognition they deserve, the even better treat was reconnecting with the people whom I know. There are times when I feel so isolated that knowing there are other who would stop and talk to me on their own accord can be a subconscious shock to me. In that regard, last night worth it for meeting people again and knowing I am a part of this community in some small way.

In that spirit, I want to get back writing my reviews and I'm thinking of venturing into creative writing like converting a short story I wrote and read for the Fringe Festival's FringeWords event years ago. I have to stretch my wings as a writer more seriously if I want a real future and this kind of exercise can only help. Fortunately, I know some good online resources like PlotBot and I intend to use them as best I can.  All I need is to summon the fortitude and drive to get this going, which is a challenge in itself. 

It's not that I have anything better to do.

No comments: