Thursday, March 08, 2012

New fridge and new movies

Of all the expenses you don't want to deal with, buying major kitchen appliances must rank fairly high, but my fridge, which was a donation from Habitat for Humanity to the original houseowners years ago and must have been 30+ years old, was dying and I had to bow to reality.

At least I now have a replacement that will only use 24% of the power of the old one, just the thing you want to have in play when time of use electricity pricing is imposed on you. Now, if only I could convince the commercial tenants to take some basic measures to save electricity on their own.

I at least had some good news like I won a runner up prize at Rainbow Cinemas' Oscar contest, 4 movie passes and my latest movie bingo sheet is full. That means I have 5 free showings to go to, which is a welcome development considering the new John Carter movie is falling in its Rotten Tomato rating and I was hoping against hope it could have stayed fresh.  Oh well, the Oscar nominated dance documentary, Pina, is coming to the Hyland and that will certainly be worth the money.  Just look at this trailer if you need convincing.  The whole look of that kind of poetry in motion is a cinematic magic that you can only find at the art house cinema environment

Sorry if I don't have any insightful things to write about this Thursday, but I can show one of the most entertaining European translations of the most unlikely broad interest TV sensation of the year, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.  Namely, while most translations of the show's intro translate the language, the Italian version goes for a full re-edit into a spectacular animesque style that is distinctive in and of itself.

Just see it for yourself and enjoy!

No comments: