Thursday, May 03, 2012

Thoughts of putting my pen where my mouth is.

Given my statement in my previous blog, sometimes I wonder if I should be challenged of by the idea of "Let's See YOU Do Better."


The fact is that I have a call center job that works most weekday evenings and the weekends. As such, I can't join any stage production without requesting a week's time off and given the job's vagaries, that is a luxury I simply can't afford.  The funny thing was I was invited to participate by the owner of the old Maverick's store, but I was in no mood to play an extra in yet another copy of George Romero's Night of the Living Dead.  Now, if that guy had the ambition to try his hand at something similar to Jeff Smith's Clerks, I would love to try my hand at that.


As for play writing, I have always been intimidated by the idea of writing dialogue.  I don't know how good writers can do it creating the words of people and make them sound human and real in some emotional sense. I can formulate plots and general characters to some degree, but I don't feel capable of pulling all the elements together for a real story.  


On other hand, I find George Lucas very inspirational for me as a narrative writer; if only that his dialogue, unassisted by Laurence Kasdan's rewrites, is so inept that I know I could do better. In fact, I've pondered how I could have rework Amidala and Anakin's dialogue in their final exchange in Star Wars: The Revenge of the Sith so much, I might post my musings later as a exercise. To that end, Plotbot is a real help.


As it is, the closest I have gotten to fiction writing is the hundreds of plot summaries I have written for the Internet Movie Database (You can see my newer ones here if you wish), but I don't if I can match up to Jason Rip or Jayson McDonald in that kind of talent.


Still, my netbook bag has 2-3 books on writing along with the hardware and I may just get the gumption to finally try to something more consistently worthwhile with my writing.

 

No comments: